On Sun, Jun 14, 2009 at 04:50:23PM +0300, David Baron wrote:

> Even more. I get a bootup error message failing to set date (and time)
> to ... the following day + 3 hours!!

You may have a bad system clock. That does happen on some older
hardware or if a CMOS battery goes bad. I'd do the following:

    - Make sure you're calling "hwlock --systohc --localtime" at some
      point when your time has been correctly set.

    - Make sure /etc/default/ntp contains "NTPD_OPTS='-g'" so that you
      can handle large clock offsets.

If that still doesn't really resolve your problem, then you might want
to try chrony instead, which assumes that your clock has a stable drift
rate that can be compensated for. NTP is certainly better for accuracy,
but chrony is a little more tolerant of clock issues as far as I can
tell.

--
"Oh, look: rocks!"
        -- Doctor Who, "Destiny of the Daleks"