On Wed, Aug 27, 2003 at 09:13:51PM -0600, Jacob Anawalt wrote:
> Bret Comstock Waldow wrote:
> >On Wed, 2003-08-27 at 00:39, Kevin Mark wrote:
> >>the script can not be accessed by anyone. it can only be called inside
> >>the script which can only be run by a root user. So it doesnt see to be
> >>security concern (but I'm not a security expert -- will the local guru
> >>commment)
> >
> >I'll be interested to hear it too.  In theory, there must be some reason
> >it was put in the script in the first place...
>
> On my system the init.d scripts are o+rx, so anyone can read and execute
> them, so the script itself doesn't provide protection. I didn't change
> anything so I must assume this is the debian unstable default for
> /etc/init.d/ scripts. The commands the script tries to execute,
> iptables, iptables-save, iptables-root will not work from a normal user
> account.

Yes. If you think about it: there's no point making the script
unreadable by default, because anyone can download it from the Debian
archive and read it there. Since it isn't set-id, there's no point not
making it executable either, because anyone can just read it and execute
the same commands from an interactive shell. If iptables worked as a
non-root user, the security problem would be there, not in the calling
script.

In general I don't believe that there's ever any point making non-set-id
scripts unreadable or unexecutable, except when they contain sensitive
data.

--
Colin Watson                                  [EMAIL PROTECTED]