Paul E Condon wrote:
I have no objection to the status of hal as a required part of a
standard desktop installation, but I do have a question as to how best
to deal with a peculiar situation.

I have several USB hard drives (ones with rotating machinery inside,
not solid state 'disks'). From time to time I need to perform format
maintenance on one of them. In order to do this, I look in /dev to see
what device name has been assigned to the drive, umount it, and do
whatever - e2fsck, tune2fs, etc. But when I'm finish doing
maintenance, how to I remount it without pulling the USB cable,
waiting a while, and reinserting the cable? Is there a console command
that I can type that avoids the extra wear on the fragile little
connectors and plugs? I'm looking for something that retriggers the
look-up of volume label and the creation of a mount-point in /media as
was there before I started mucking about.

Or is there another way to do the maintenance without umounting? (not
likely, I think)

I use `sudo blockdev --rereadpt /dev/sdx'