Decompressing mp3 to wav and then recompressing to mp3 can lead to trouble
(go to http://www.hydrogenaudio.org/forums/ and do a search for
"transcoding" if you want to learn more), however if your source mp3 file is
of high enough bitrate then you may get away without any noticeable decrease
in sound quality.  The mp3 file is playing back at it's intended volume as
recorded - mp3gain will use the replaygain method to adjust the perceived
volume upon playback without modifying the mp3's quality.  This is the
preferred method.  Someone else recommended it in this thread: be sure to
check all your volume settings including application and system volume.

Short of that, opening the mp3 file with Audacity (
http://audacity.sourceforge.net/download/) will let you max out the volume
on the file if you really want it louder.  Just be aware you are likely to
introduce clipping (static, hiss, etc.) by doing this, thus why mp3gain is
the recommended solution since it is non-invasive and 100% reversible.

HTH.
Mark