I've partitioned a server disk fairly heavily, and I want to RAID1 it. I see on the 'Net that there's such a thing as "partitionable RAID arrays". But I also read that this isn't such a good idea. Seems pretty good to me: build an array of unpartitioned drives, and slice it up. Is there really a downside to this?

And I see talk of versions of the superblock, that 1.0 is better than 0.9, etc. Does it really make any difference? Should I even consider the 1.1 at the beginning of the disk? It's claimed there's something in the mdadm config file that selects the version, but I don't see anything about it (lenny)...

And am I correct in believing that the kernel RAID-assembly-at-boot applies only when the partition type is 0xfd? And that mdadm is the only way to have arrays of unpartitioned drives? And that mdadm completely ignores (or never sees) udev's /dev and uses the kernel names?

--
Glenn English
g...@slsware.com