On Fri, 14 Aug 2009 17:52:33 +0100, AG in gmane.linux.debian.user wrote:
<snip>
> What is that packaged as - there doesn't seem to be any candidate and I
> already have alsamixergui alsa-tools and alsa-utils installed.  Using
> alsamixer doesn't even show up a device that I would associate with
> system sound events aside from "beep".

If you have alsa tools installed you should have it. Did you run it ? Does
your kernel have the proper modules installed for your sound card ? That has
to be done first before ALSA can configure it. It's pretty straight forward
when one runs 'alsaconf' with prompts and all.

FWIU ALSA is the preferred sound driver for Linux.