On Sun, 16 Aug 2009, Andrei Popescu wrote:
While downloading archived messages (around 20 thousand of them,
800 MB) from my Gmail account via POP3, Fetchmail stopped after
fetching 9985 messages.  It now keeps saying that there are "549
read messages" on the server but clearly, there are many more.

Did you check that or are you just assuming? I'm asking because from
my experience gmail was *deleting* mails as soon as retrieved via
POP3 (but not via IMAP).

Yes, my Gmail deletes messages too, when they are retrieved via POP3
(you can make it not to).  But I could use their web interface to
check that I did indeed have all those unread messages.

Fetchmail's option combination 'ssl nokeep expunge 20' seems to be
working for me now, although honestly, I don't understand why that
should be necessary.

Thanks,
Girish.

--
Girish Kulkarni - Allahabad, India - athene.org.in/girish