Bernard wrote:

> 2.6.30.4 does compile all right, so does 2.6.26, but 2.6.20 does not.

you find out why in the archives

> Problem is that I still can't boot those I compiled, i.e. 2.6.26. because
> the initrd.img is buggy. I did find something, still it is not enough to
> get the process to work. In my
>
> /etc/mkinitrd/mkinitrd.conf file, I found a modified line :
>
> # Command to generate the initrd image.
> # MKIMAGE='mkcramfs %s %s > /dev/null' this has been changed august 19,
> # 2009
>
> MKIMAGE='genromfs -d %s -f %s'
>
> The change date has not been written by me, so this must be a conf file
> that came with a recent package upgrade that I did. I tried uncommenting
> the old line, commenting the new one instead. MKIMAGE='mkcramfs... became
> active. What gave me this idea, is that in those error messages that I
> could see at crash, it was matter of cramfs.
>
> Well that change made mkinitrd to produce smaller images. I tried
> installing them in the grub boot menu, and then, now, the boot crashes do
> not happen at the same time as before... but it still crashes !
>
> I could do nothing else than catch photos of my screen, since no log file
> are recorded in such cases.
>
> http://www.teaser.fr/~bdebreil/bootcrash1.jpg

so this is the old error, and you don't need a fix for it

> and
>
> http://www.teaser.fr/~bdebreil/bootcrash2.jpg
>
> will show you what I got
>
> The first crash screen is not very informative :
> "
> could not load '/lib/modules... no such files"

I don't think so it's as informative as it should be. It can not mount sdb2
(is it your root?)

> (these files exist, but at this point in time it is not in the /boot
> partition, therefore not mounted as yet). This crash came from a kernel
> which I had configure to have RAID inside, not as modules. While watching
> the boot logs of my working kernel, I could see that RAID was as modules.
> So, I recompiled a new kernel with modules for RAID, and then boot went a
> little bit further, as can be seen in the screen picture at crash :
>
> 'raid1 set md1 active with 2 out of 2 mirrors
>
> mdadm : /dev/md1 has been started with 2 drives'
>
> but then :
>
> 'mkdir cannot create directory '/devfs/vg00' : read only filesystem
> failure to communicate to kernel device mapper driver
> incompatible libdevmapper 1.01.00-ioctl (2005-01-17) (compat) and kernel
> driver'

The problem is as far as I remember that devfs was given up ... was it
something that worked with hotplug ... I really don't remember right now,
but there was a change affecting devmapper. I think you have to read about
it, perhaps replace it and recreate initrd.

Compiling md in the kernel is the right approach to boot from raided root
without initrd. You can try this just skipping (deleteing the line in grub
temporary)

> I think that this last quoted line does most explain that the tools I am
> using are not appropriate.
>
> I have good grounds to think that the problems are in my initrd.img
> file... but there may also be something wrong in the compiled kernel
> image.

try without initrd (with custom kernel, you can put everything you need
inside it (i.e filesystem support ide/ata etc) you then can access your
root partition and the boot process will continue from there. The initrd is
only needed to load drivers which helps you do the above.
Because you are using lvm, if not using initrd you need to compile also lvm
inside the kernel.

> Could someone please tell me what tool packages to purge and what to
> install instead so that I can recompile a 2.6.26 or 2.6.30 kernel that
> will boot on my Debian 3.1 system with raid 1 ?

There are good howtos for upgrading from sarg -> etch and etch -> lenny.
You definitely better use udev ... devmapper is not needed anymore as far as
I know.

I did it last year ... and yes there were some troubles with the initrds ...

I could send you my scripts for building your own initrd ( I have used them
to build initrd for crypted root - before it started working in debian),
though I've already posted a 5step howto fix broken boot initrd - try
init=/bin/sh option ;-) and fix the boot by hand - you'll see what you are
missing

You could just copy over a working image and initrd (from some live cd/dvd)
edit grub and reboot - this should work.

regards