On 22.07.09 14:31, Dominique Dumont wrote:
> My Gygabyte motherboard (SB700 with AMD4400+) has poor SATA
> performance. Any disk I/O leads to high system CPU percentage.
> And the AHCI interrupt is about 1000/s even for low disk usage.
>
> Using hdparm, I've found that all my sata disks have multcount set to 0:
>
> $ sudo hdparm /dev/sdb
>
> /dev/sdb:
>  multcount     =  0 (off)
>  IO_support    =  0 (default)
>  readonly      =  0 (off)
>  readahead     = 256 (on)
>  geometry      = 38913/255/63, sectors = 625142448, start = 0
>
> As far as I can tell, I should get better performance by setting
> mulcount to 8 or 16. (ie. hdparm -m 16 /dev/sdb)
>
> But, hdparm warns that -m is a dangerous option.
>
> What is your opinion on this ? Is this really dangerous ? Or is it only
> when playing with too high mulcount value ?

afaik those options only work when DMA is not in use, and using DMA is
usually much faster.

Are you using any kind of "hardware" RAID? Which kernel do you have?
I think that you are missing good drivers for the sata...

"They say when you play that M$ CD backward you can hear satanic messages."
"That's nothing. If you play it forward it will install Windows."