Anybody know what's going on or can help debug
this at least?

Running squeeze I am having trouble reformatting a

  * 64MB memory stick and a
  * 160GB 2.5" HD in a USB linked
    external enclosure

using "mkdosfs -c /dev/sd{ag}1".

In both cases the process hung while checking for
bad blocks.  ps shows the process to be in
uninteruptible sleep.  man ps says that it is
probably related to IO.

I eventually got the memory stick to finish but
the external HD still hangs (at the same block
count, at least, on 3 of the tries).

kill -KILL doesn't unjam the process.  Only unplugging
the drive seems to free things up.  If you plugg
it back in right away, it will start counting
off blocks as it checks again and finishes.  But, the
filesystem mounts as ext3 because...

"mke2fs -c -j /dev/sda1" will work just fine on this drive.

Thanks,

will
--

  whollyg...@letterboxes.org