Hi,

On Fri, Nov 27, 2009 at 04:51:32PM -0500, Ken Heard wrote:
> I should have explained in my original post what I wanted to do.  In the
> short run I want to run a Windows version of WordPerfect and so have
> access to WordPerfect 5.1 (a DOS app) files that I have been creating
> since the 80s, the contents of which I want to use now in a book I am
> putting together.
>
> I was thinking of installing on VBox Windows 98, the only Windows
> version I have, and install WP 7 or later for Windows in order to access
> my WP 5.1 files.  In this way I can save my WP 5.1 files in ps or pdf
> and use them elsewhere.  (I tried using OpenOffice but WP formatting is
> lost when opening WP files in OOo.)
>
> So it would appear from the posts that I should use VirtualBox for now.
> I could also install DOS on it and see if DOS apps work better on VBox
> than on dosemu.
>
> Thank you all for your advice.
>
> Regards, Ken Heard

Big difference:

VBox: FREE as FREEDOM
VMware: FREE as FREEBEER

qemu, kqemu with kvm are other options in lenny.

http://www.debian.org/doc/manuals/debian-reference/ch09.en.html#_virtualized_system

But just to read files, Openoffice is easier.

Another option is http://packages.debian.org/lenny/wp2x :
This program converts simple WordPerfect 5.0 and 5.1 files into any
other document processing languages that use plain text files, like TeX,
LaTeX, troff, GML and HTML.

Osamu