On Wed, Jan 06, 2010 at 10:32:52PM +0000, Sebastian wrote:
> Hello everybody
>
> I'm just getting started learning the dvorak layout using the package
> dvorak7min. So far I have only been able to practice under X using
> 'setxkbdmap dvorak' which works great.
> What I'm interested in if there's an easy way to (temporarily as I'm
> nowhere near fluent yet) load another keymap as an ordinary user in a
> regular terminal session. I have tried the loadkeys command but that
> doesn't work for a ordinary user here.
> I'm running a mixed-release debian with apt-pinning (mainly
> testing). Any suggestions appreciated.

There are some window managers (e.g. the one of KDE) that support
per-window keyboard mapping. Or rather: with XKB, you have up to 4
groups, and switching between them is relatively cheap. Thus this
supports switching groups between windows.

I suppose you can map querty for one groups and dvorak for another. Not
exactly sure how.

--
Tzafrir Cohen         | tzaf...@jabber.org | VIM is
tzaf...@cohens.org.il |                    |  best