Greetings all-

I am running the stock 2.6.30-2-amd64 kernel, largely because I have been unable to compile a working 2.6.30 kernel of my own. (My travails on that account are documented here: http://lists.debian.org/debian-user/2009/09/msg01936.html .)

Bottom line on compiling my own: In the past, up through 2.6.26, I was able to do make menuconfig ; select my preferences; make-kpkg --clean ; make-kpkg --revision XXXXX ; make-kpkg kernel-image ; make-kpkg modules-image .

With 2.6.30 when I do this I *always* get:

kernel panic: no init found. Try passing init= option to kernel

or

kernel panic: no init found. Unable to mount root fs on unknown-block(0,0).

on boot.

That's been OK because the stock kernel works fine on my four machines (office server, office desktop, laptop, and home desktop).

Now I have a new problem, though. I'd like to use the 1394 modules to copy video from a camcorder. The 1394 modules are not included in the stock kernel. So, dear debian-users, I ask you for advice on either of the following directions:

1.) How can I fix my kernel compilation problem so I can include the 1394 modules in the kernel; OR, alternatively: 2.) How can I compile *modules* from source independently so I can insmod them into the stock kernel?

Thanks for any advice-
Andy Perrin