On Fri, Jan 22, 2010 at 04:47:29PM EST, Stephen Powell wrote:

> I prefer a hardware text mode virtual console for a number of
> reasons, but one of them is that it performs better, particularly
> on the ancient under-powered hardware that I tend to use!

PIII 650MHz - 386M of RAM - ATI Rage Mobility (Mach64).

> For example, screen scrolling is quite snappy on a text mode virtual
> console, but on a framebuffer virtual console it can be sluggish,
> depending on processor speed.

I don't know if my video card takes care of that, but I find that moving
the cursor, scrolling, etc. is noticeably faster on a framebuffer
console than on the vga console. Mind you, since the vesa driver does
not support my display's native 1400x1050, I use the atyfb driver. So
I'm not sure how it would handle if I used the vga=xxx modes.

[..]

> All it does is consume resources and slow things down.

Everything has a price, keeping in mind that it might use fewer CPU cycles
if the video card is put to good use.

Thank you for your comments,

CJ