On Fri, Jan 22, 2010 at 10:28:26PM +0000, Bhasker C V wrote:
> Hi,
>
>  This may not be debian-specific question, but with the group expertise,
> I think this would be a good reference for anybody.
>
>  I think this question has been debated a lot but still there is no clear
> information on what to do.
>
>  The question is, if you want to share data between linux and windows
> what is the best file system to use[plus adding security complexity].
>
>  Using Ext3 on windows is good but has its limitations. This does not work
> unless the ext3 file system is on a partition. The limitation comes when
> using applications like freeOTFE which can read LUKS volumes. The volume
> is mounted as a drive but not detected as a disk by any of the written
> ext3 drivers in windows.
>
>  Using NTFS on linux and windows is cool. I have consistently seen that
> when there are large number of files, undoubtably, ntfs volume goes
> corrupt and chkdsk simply removes files and creates data loss. I do not
> have any clue on when the FS goes corrupt (either when writing using
> linux or when using in windows - Used ntfs (kernel), ntfs-3g ... all in
> vain).
>
>  Anyone can recommend VFAT. FAT32 being supported by XP and well
> supported by linux makes it a good candidate. The problem with FAT32, I
> guess (correct me if I am wrong), there is no support for case-sensitive
> file names in the FAT32 file system.
>
>  So, the question... what FS to use which is good and reliable in both
> windows and also linux  ?
>
>  Is there any file system in linux which can work in windows also
> (meaning it can be read and optionally written-to in windows even if the
> FS is not in a partition) ?

I don't know of any others.  But if you have a network you can certainly
have a network drive that is writable by both Linux and Windows.  (using
Samba).

But I expect you're probably in a dual-boot situation where you're
trying to share files on a single computer between the 2 OS's.  For that
I've always used FAT32, and it seems to work well.  I don't like using
it, especially after MS sued Tom Tom over their use of FAT32.  Not that
I'm worried about getting sued, but I'd like to shun MS technology in
protest.

-Rob

-Rob