On Thu, 4 Feb 2010 21:06:11 -0500 (EST), Stephen Powell wrote:
> For successful installation of future kernels, you should also check your
> /etc/kernel-img.conf file.  Here's what mine looks like
>
> ----------
>
> do_symlinks = yes
> relative_links = yes
> do_bootloader = yes
> do_bootfloppy = no
> do_initrd = yes
> link_in_boot = yes
>
> ----------
>
> Note particularly the "link_in_boot" option, which tells the kernel
> installation script
> to maintain the symbolic links in /boot instead of in /.
>
> After all these changes, re-run lilo.
> Then shutdown and reboot to test it.
>
> Hope this helps.

One thing I forgot to mention is that the symlink method used by the
kernel install scripts in conjunction with boot loaders that use them,
such as lilo (for the i386 architecture) and zipl (for the s390
architecture) only allows the two most recently installed kernels
to be bootable.  Let's say that you install a 2.6.33 kernel in the
future.  That means that "Linux" in your lilo boot menu will boot
the 2.6.33 kernel and "LinuxOLD" in your lilo boot menu will boot
the 2.6.32 kernel.  The 2.6.30 kernel, though still installed, is no
longer bootable.  If you want it to remain bootable, you will need
to set "do_symlinks=no" and "do_bootloader=no" in /etc/kernel-img.conf
and maintain your /etc/lilo.conf file and your symlinks by hand.
Then manually run lilo to update the boot menu.

Assuming that you are content with only being able to boot the
two most recently installed kernels, you should manually purge
old kernels as they roll off the boot menu, in order to save space.
For example, after installing the 2.6.33 kernel, you would issue

   aptitude purge linux-image-2.6.30-2-686

to deinstall the old kernel, since it is no longer bootable.

Of course, an upgrade to an existing kernel (same package name,
different version number) replaces the current kernel.  It does
not install a new kernel.  Therefore, you would not purge the
old kernel under these conditions.