Paul Johnson <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> writes:

> On Fri, Aug 29, 2003 at 01:04:51AM +0100, Pigeon wrote:
>> Eh? I meant he's sending everything _from_ [EMAIL PROTECTED] sure,
>> if he was sending to [EMAIL PROTECTED] we wouldn't be having this
>> discussion :-)
>
> OK, but I'm not entirely convinced he's sending a host, which is why
> everybody's local mail server is adding in the host part.

I've seen some hints of "@localhost" in the email I got.  I sent email
to Kevin about two weeks ago asking him to fix it.  Since it hasn't
been fixed yet, and he never answered, I just assumed he didn't care.

I don't know about standard exim configurations, but my sendmail
configuration (on a NetBSD box, built using the standard macros) does
look for "@localhost" and converts it.  So I think it's a standard
part of the sendmail config.

I think it's a misconfiguration problem in multiple places.

 * Kevin's mail software (Ximian Evolution, talking directly to his
   ISP? if there's a local MTA it's not in the Received headers)
   shouldn't be sending out such headers.

 * His ISP's software (Exim) could be more intelligent about detecting
   misconfigured clients.  Since it's an ISP, and they probably don't
   care much about a pesky little thing like this, the easiest
   approach might be to get a fix in upstream so they'll get it next
   time they update their software.

 * One could make an argument that Debian's mailer or list processor
   should require valid addresses, but that might be a tough argument
   to sell, especially for lists where one might turn for help in
   fixing just this problem.  Perhaps messages could be bounced with
   an error message including a URL with advice?

   In some lists, support for anonymity is important.  So bouncing
   invalid addresses in general probably isn't right.  (Maybe for
   Debian lists it doesn't matter except as a spam defense, but
   changing the list software in general wouldn't be right for these
   other lists.)  But what about just bouncing from/sender/reply-to
   fields with @localhost, or with any unqualified hostname?

 * Our receiving mailers (mine's Sendmail) probably shouldn't be doing
   that transformation for mail coming from off the local machine.
   Perhaps sticking in "@INVALID" or "@NOFQDN" would be better.

Given the wide variety of mail configurations out there, would it be
at all practical to make the popular Debian mailers difficult to
configure to send email without FQDNs in the headers to internet hosts
at large, while still presumably allowing smarthost forwarding with
unqualified names?  Not impossible, if someone really insists on it
and knows why it's the wrong thing to do; just difficult.  I suspect
Kevin wasn't intentionally trolling for accusations of email forgery
when he set up his mail client.

Given that my mail server is an old NetBSD box, and I don't use Exim
or Evolution, I'm probably not the best person to submit bug reports
or enhancement requests against these programs asking for such
changes, 'cuz I can't verify all of them in a Debian mail system or
verify when they've been fixed.  But if someone else wants to, feel
free....

Ken