Ron Johnson wrote:
On 2010-03-09 14:57, Angelin Lalev wrote:
After almost each update of my debian lenny kernel I have my IDE disk
name changed. Once it's hda1 then is hdc1 and keeps flip-flopping. Is
it a known problem?

That's udev.  Does your fstab use /dev/hdX, labels or uuids?

Whatever it currently uses, you *should* use labels in fstab; and when not possible (fancy fs, whatever), UUIDs.

To reference the block device anywhere else, use /dev/disk/by-label/<...>
When not possible or not such a good idea (removable drives,..), there are also subdirectories to reference by disk ID (generated with the model/serial numbers,..), path (physical) or UUID.

If you don't want to use these paths, you can generate your own symlinks via custom udev rules. I would *not* recommend renaming the drives with fixed "kernel names" ([sh]d[a-z]) in order to "reorder them". I had some issues trying to do that in the past, and in the end I realized it would only add useless confusion.

So, it's not a bug, you should just not rely on these names.

-thib