On Mon, 8 Mar 2010, Ron Johnson wrote:

grub (and maybe lilo) never used to be able to boot from an xfs partition.

Grub can boot from xfs now. Lilo always could. If you install xfs as the root filesystem on older versions of Debian Stable the installer is smart enough to realise that Grub won't cut it, and it installs Lilo. I noticed this behaviour has changed recently but I don't recall exactly when it changed.

As for the shiver, I also am confused. A 64MB partition, though, really doesn't need a high-performance fs. ext2 is more than adequate.

I certainly have no objections to seperating /boot if it makes the bootloader happy.

Rob

--
Email: rob...@timetraveller.org
IRC: Solver