Tom H wrote:
You're welcome. I hope that you have an actual Windows CD/DVD to use
the above commands given that most manufacturers ship recovery CDs
only that may or may not allow you to use these commands. :(

Maybe the mbr package is what we're looking for here.

  http://packages.debian.org/lenny/mbr

From the manpage, the behavior of this loader is to chainload to the "default" partition (the one that has the boot flag, I guess) after one sec (configurable), or display a very basic prompt if a keypress occurs before (or if it fails).

In other words, it does the job -- the old-school way, but it works.

-thib