Please keep the discussion on the list.

On Sun, Mar 14, 2010 at 03:07:52PM -0700, Frank J Niertit wrote:
> Hi all
>
> You are right I am not subscribed. Been busy. I originally loaded

You need to state you are not subscribed and ask to be CC'd, or better
yet subscribe.

> virtualbox-3.1 version 3.1.4-57640 from  the following line in my
> sources.list
>
> deb http://download.virtualbox.org/virtualbox/debian lenny non-free
>
> It still appears there when I check dselect. If however I now try to

dselect??? hmmm, been awhile since I had to fight with that.

looks like a problem at virtualbox.org.

> I then went to the site and downloaded both the deb and Packages.gz file.
>
> http://download.virtualbox.org/virtualbox/debian/pool/non-free/v/virtualbox-3.1/virtualbox-3.1_3.1.4-57640_Debian_lenny_amd64.deb
>
> http://download.virtualbox.org/virtualbox/debian/dists/lenny/non-free/binary-amd64/Packages.gz
>
> I then recreated the exact same trees on my system and substituted
> the following line in my sources.list:
>
> deb file:/opt/debian lenny non-free

Ummm, why not just dpkg -i
/path/to/virtualbox-3.1_3.1.4-57640_Debian_lenny_amd64

> I checked the packages file and it does point to the right place. Is
> the error intentional or did someone mess up. I do not think this is
> Suns site. Since I can go to Suns site and it is a different URL.

Maybe "Since I can go to Suns site and it is a different URL" and "304
moved temporarily" expalin it?

http://www.debian.org/donations

> me to. What mailing list do I subscribe to. I think others maybe

The current list of available mailing lists is at
http://lists.debian.org/, presented sorted by topic and unsorted.

> experiencing this problem especially newbies and they would have no
> idea how to work around it. My solution is a hack, as are all
> actions taken when you have no time for a more elegant solution, but
> it would get them up and running.

Why not virtualbox 3.1.4-dfsg-1~bpo50+1 from www.backports.org?

[snip]

--