Hello,

Maybe it's time to step back and ask a more basic question.
What is it that you are trying to accomplish?  I know that you are trying
to do a pivot_root.  But *why* are you trying to do a pivot_root?
Why do you think you need to do it?  What is the real-world problem
that you are trying to solve?

I want to go back into an initramfs setting so that only the running kernel and one specific process remains. Goal is to be able to boot a new system from there with a new hard drive (for example mounted via nfs or some other way) withouth the need to reboot the entire kernel. The whole thing is running within a xen domU atm. So the new hard disk could be passed through via xend or mounted via nfs. And for cleanly terminating the first system I need to unmount the root filesystem and somehow replace the old init process with my specific process running in that initramfs setting. According to the pivot_root manpage, it should be possible to clear all dependencies to the old root fs so that it can be unmounted after the pivot_root command. And that's what not working for me.

K. Haselhorst