On Thursday 25 March 2010 18:38:36 Joseph Lenox wrote:
> I'm running lenny (5.0.4); and trying to get USB flash drive mounting in a
> way that doesn't involve hand-adding every user to the plugdev group (we're
> running NIS).
>
> I tried the pam_group approach, and id says the user is in the plugdev
> group, but I'm still getting a permissions error from DBus. Adding the
> exact user to the plugdev group on the local machine worked as far as the
> mounter.

  An alternative approach is to open up permissions on the device,
by finding the right "MODE=0660" line in /etc/udev/rules.d and changing
it to "MODE=0666".   Then the group membership won't matter.

   I don't actually know how to do this, but there are promising-sounding
entries in /etc/udev/rules.d/91-permissions.rules, you might try editing
the "usbfs-like devices" section there as a starting point.

  It's also possible that the gnome-mount is setting some
permissions somehow, you may need to edit that also.

  Sorry to be so vague, it's just another approach.

                        -- A.
--
Andrew Reid / rei...@bellatlantic.net