On 2010-04-19 19:53, Stephen Powell wrote:
On 2010-04-17 21:32, Stephen Powell wrote:
Why did they switch from gecko to webkit anyway?  It was working so well.
I still use it in Lenny.  But not in Squeeze.  Not anymore.
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/WebKit#Origins

Maybe I'm slow, Ron, but I don't follow you.  The above link appears to
give the origins of webkit, but I didn't see anything there about why
epiphany-browser decided to switch from gecko, which was working well,
to webkit, which has apparently caused a lot of problems.

Apple's reason:
    "allowed easier development than other technologies by virtue
    of being small (fewer than 140,000 lines of code), cleanly
    designed and standards compliant."

I'm betting they though to themselves, "If it's good enough for Apple, it's good enough for us..."

As for problems in Webkit, I'd say that *one* of the reasons why gecko is so bloated is all of the edge cases and idiosyncrasies of html, js, flash, etc, etc that have built up in the code over the years.

--
Dissent is patriotic, remember?