On 2010-04-20 10:22, T o n g wrote:
Hi,

How can I trick my Debian into thinking that a package is not installed?

I am talking about the *standalone* durep package. I don't like the new 0.9 version but rather prefer the old 0.8 version. However, even I've put it on hold in dpkg/aptitude, from time to time if I do a 'aptitude safe- upgrade', this durep package somehow get upgraded as well. So now I think the easiest way for me to fix the problem once and for all is to hide the fact to my Debian that the durep package is ever installed.

apt-get users "pin" packages at a certain version. I don't know if aptitude does that behind the scenes.

$ cat /etc/apt/preferences
Package: icedove
Pin: version 2.0*
Pin-Priority: 1001