On Wed, Apr 21 at 15:04, Stefan Monnier penned:

> Now think about the other route: the one based on the law instead of
> technology: the legal document can simply describe what she's
> allowed to do, and that will automatically cover all imaginable ways
> to circumvent any technological means you could imagine.  And if she
> does break the contract, you can sue her.  Don't know about you, but
> to me, it sounds a lot more useful.

Except that most technical people would probably rather hammer a nail
through their forehead than go through the pain of suing someone and
dealing with the legal system, the paper work, the time involved ...

So looking for a technical solution, even one that requires an
enormous amount of development time, makes sense.  Maybe the
development time is actually a bonus, if you're interested in that
sort of tinkering already.

All of that being said - this entire thread is really a question of
security, and security is a process and an approach, not an end result.
There is no such thing as a 100% secure system that is also useful, in
the same way that there is no such thing as a 100% secure PDF that is
also useful.  So the real goal is to make the document "secure enough"
for one's purposes, while also making the document "usable enough" for
those purposes.  I think there have been a lot of good ideas on this
thread for managing that trade-off.

--
monique