On Sat, Apr 24, 2010 at 3:11 PM, Ron Johnson <ron.l.john...@cox.net> wrote:

> On 04/24/2010 12:53 PM, B. Alexander wrote:
>
>> Hi,
>>
>> I have a question on filesystems. Back in the day, I started using
>> reiser3. It was faster than ext3, and it could be extended without
>> umounting the filesystem (which has since been fixed in ext3), plus,
>> unlike any filesystem I have encountered, it could be reduced in size.
>>
>> Well, now reiser3 is very long in the tooth, reiser4 will probably never
>> go anywhere, so I'm wondering what filesystems are recommended. Last I
>> heard, ext4 is stablizing, but it had problems with filesystem
>> corruption, though that was mid-fall last year, IIRC.
>>
>> So now, I would like to slowly start replacing my reiser3 partitions
>> with...something else. There are two options, the old standards, e.g.
>> ext3/4, xfs, etc, and then there are a slew of new filesystems, such as
>> nilfs2, btrfs and exofs.
>>
>> I'm talking about a range of machines, from workstations to servers to
>> NFS and storage servers with multi-terabyte disks, and a backup server
>> with several hundred gigs of backups.
>>
>> Does anyone have suggestions and practical experience with the pros and
>> cons of the various filesystems?
>>

> XFS is the canonical fs for when you have lots of Big Files.  I've also
> seen simple benchmarks on this list showing that it's faster than ext3/ext4.

Thats cool. What about Lots of Little Files? That was another of the draws
of reiser3. I have a space I mount on /media/archive, which has everything
from mp3/oggs and movies, to books to a bunch of tiny files. This will
probably be the first victim for the xfs test partition.

nilfs2, btrfs and exofs are *definitely* still beta or even alpha.

> xfs and ext[34] can all be extended.  For production servers with a working
> UPS, I'd go with ext3 for / & /boot and xfs (since it hates sudden power
> outages) for the "/data" directories.  For production workstations, I'd
> stick with the standby ext3 for / & /boot and ext3 or xfs for /home and
> "/data" (depending on the workload).

Define "hates sudden power outages"...Is it recoverable?

Thanks for the info, Ron,
--b