On Mon, Apr 26, 2010 at 04:44:32PM -0500, Boyd Stephen Smith Jr. wrote:
> On Monday 26 April 2010 09:29:28 Tim Clewlow wrote:
> > I'm getting ready to build a RAID 6 with 4 x 2TB drives to start,
> > but the intention is to add more drives as storage requirements
> > increase.
>
> Since you seem fine with RAID 6, I'll assume you are also fine with RAID 5.
>
> I don't know what your requirements / levels of paranoia are, but RAID 5 is
> probably better than RAID 6 until you are up to 6 or 7 drives; the chance of
> double failure in a 5 (or less) drive array is minuscule.

It's not minuscule; it happens all the time. The key is that the
double failure won't be simultaneous: first one drive goes, and
then the extra stress involved in rebuilding it makes another
drive go. Then it's time to replace disks and restore from
backup.

-dsr-

You can't defend freedom by getting rid of it.