rudupere wrote:
Le 29/04/2010 05:55, Justin The Cynical a écrit :

rudu wrote:

In single user mode, I can login on the first virtual console but
every other ctrl+alt+Fn I hit only gives me a black screen with a
prompt flashing in the upper left corner ...

IIRC, in single user mode, this is normal.

Launching a graphic session with startx instead of gdm/kdm doesn't
change anything except that I don't even have any flashing prompt on
my black screen anymore.

This is an old, old bug (IMO) in the binary nvidia module. I've had this
problem since getting Linux running on my old pentium m laptop with a
6000 go series chip.

For example:

and possible fix (seems to be hit or miss):

Bingo !!
That was it, an old bug from nvidia drivers.
The workaround that worked for me :
Append the line :
options nvidia NVreg_UseVBios=0
to the file /etc/modprobe.d/nvidia-kernel-nkc.conf

A big thank you to Justin and everyone who helped.

Good that you got it solved. Except I don't understand when the problem started. You must have run at one time w/o black screens. And then they started.

Hugo