On Sun, May 9, 2010 at 18:42, David Baron <d_ba...@012.net.il> wrote:

> >> At certain times, seems Friday noontime, I am unable to shutdown the
> >> system. Instead of the usual scripts to killing all processes,
> unmounting
> >> everything and will now halt, goodby, I get:
> >>
> >>  process running pstree (or something like that)
> >>  shutdown aborted
> >>
> >>  At this point, the system (or at least any console or UI) is dead.
> >>
> >>  What it this?
>

> > Just see which process is running pstree.
> > "ps -eaf | grep pstree"
> > You could find the parent pid of pstree (second column).
> > Look at the parent of pstree, and the process started this one.
> > If you go back that way, finally you will reach init, but before that you
> > could find which system process started these processes.
> I'll have to try it when I know the thing is running.
>
> > As I recall, pstree is not part of basic installation.
> > It was put to do some scripting, regarding found, in
> > perl/python?
> > My first bet would be to remove offensive cron line and
> > shutdown normally. Than to do filesystem checks. Next,
> > to set cron to use pstree as a regular user. I think that
> > shutdown was done in some parts, aka closed network. What
> > has to wait, hangs the system.
> > Otherwise, there is a chance that some housekeeping pro-
> > cesses are started at noon every day. You could always
> > look at /etc directory and find them. Some unices have
> > it in /etc/periodic/daily. It starts with #!/bin/sh.
> > Another clue may be in /var/log, as a result of newsyslog.conf.
>
> I have no /etc/periodic and no logs for pstree
>
> I manually ran it (x11 variant) and this is what I got:
> init-+-Xprt
>     |-akonadi_control-+-akonadi_ical_re
>     |                 |-8*[akonadi_kabc_re]
>     |                 |-4*[akonadi_kcal_re]
>     |                 |-42*[akonadi_maildir]
>     |                 |-akonadi_maildis
>     |                 |-akonadi_nepomuk---{akonadi_nepomu}
>     |                 |-akonadi_vcard_r
>     |                 |-akonadiserver-+-mysqld---74*[{mysqld}]
>     |                 |               `-66*[{akonadiserver}]
>     |                 `-4*[{akonadi_contro}]
>     |-apmd
>     |-atd
>     |-avahi-daemon---avahi-daemon
>     |-boinc
>     |-clamd---2*[{clamd}]
>     |-console-kit-dae---63*[{console-kit-da}]
>     |-cron
>     |-cupsd
>     |-das_watchdog---{das_watchdog}
>     |-3*[dbus-daemon]
>     |-2*[dbus-launch]
>     |-ddclient
>     |-dirmngr
>     |-dovecot-+-2*[dovecot-auth]
>     |         |-imap
>     |         |-3*[imap-login]
>     |         `-3*[pop3-login]
>     |-exim4
>     |-fail2ban-server---6*[{fail2ban-serve}]
>     |-fetchmail
>     |-2*[getty]
>     |-gpm
>     |-hald-+-hald-runner-+-hald-addon-inpu
> [...]
pstree is used to list a tree of processes and it should not take much time.
I think your problem is arising from the originator of pstree.  Have you
tried using "top" to see any other process is taking cpu/memory?  Also take
a look
at all cron related directories and files, all files in /etc/cron.dailly,
/etc/crontab