On 11 May 2010 13:37, deloptes <delop...@yahoo.com> wrote:
> Dotan Cohen wrote:
>
> Hi, Dotan.
> I'm not sure what makes you work for KDE but I hope that you can bring our
> word to them. I have really a problem talking to programmers and software
> people (in most of the cases), because they already think in routines ...
> so the logic behind there thinking is not a human rationality but a 0 || 1

Nobody makes me, I do it for fun.

>> On 8 May 2010 15:32, consul tores <consultor...@gmail.com> wrote:
>>> the windows are absolutely useless, i can not
>>> use many, they have all kind of useless information;
>>
>> What useless information? I'd like to fix that if you will be more
>> specific.
>
> Useless is all the bullsh*t that makes kde4 nice but useless.
> Why one would develop eyecandies or tons of absolutely stupid games, but
> don't focus on improving basic functionality and also debian people ...

If you please tell me what basic functionality is missing in KDE 4.4
then I will do my best to fix that. But I can only work with specific
examples, for me KDE 4.4 and even 4.3 had all the basic functionality
that I need. What, specifically, is missing for you?

> I want to ask you how I can let my notebook configure and mount network
> shares (nfs) before I login ... I've tried to discuss this but all I was
> preached was networkmanager is good. It's not as it works user-level

The KDE networkmanager is really not that good, I use wicd myself. In
any case, back to the question, that would be Debian-specific and not
a KDE issue. I'm not evading, it's simply not my field.

>>> the menu, needs 3
>>> times more clicks than 3.5;
>>
>> Can you be more specific? Are you referring to Kmenu?
>
> i.e. konsole-kde3.5 you click down left on the icon and you have a context
> menu to open a new session.

Which Icon? The New Tab icon?

You might also be interested in this, regarding Konsole sessions:
http://saschpe.wordpress.com/2010/05/06/konsoles-user-interface-changes/

> What do I need akonadi or nepomuk or whatever else.
> All the crap _must_ be disabled and let the people enable it themselves.

You might be interested in this as well:
http://aseigo.blogspot.com/2010/05/i-dont-need-no-stinking-nepomuk-right.html

Note that Akonadi is _not_ enabled by default, and that Nepomuk uses
only 2 MB of memory in KDE trunk, which will be KDE 4.5. As much
problems as those two have given us, it's finally solved!

>> Do you mean the load time of the desktop? I do agree that it takes a
>> long time (and the starting Akonaki takes even longer!), but I do not
>> remember KDE 3 starting so fast either. The new Gnome starts in
>> seconds!
>
> It's not the freedom anymore from kde3.5. Why kde team does not work on
> compatibility with 3.5 at least in the functional perspective ... no they
> program any kind of stupid and useless sh*t.

Compatibility in what sense? Please, without a specific example I
cannot even begin to answer the question.

> I really like kde but I'm very disappointed from the mentalilty they show in
> kde4 and how they've pushed it and also that people agreed and accepted
> this.

I know, KDE 3 was simply abandoned. The devs were very arrogant. One
even went so far as to say that "KDE doesn't need users". Thankfully,
that bit is almost two years behind us now, though.

>> When you do that, please mail me (privately or on list with CC to me
>> privately) to let me know what features other desktops have that you
>> like. I'd like to incorporate them into KDE. Thanks. I highly
>> recommend testing Gnome Shell, which will be Gnome 3. A lot of people
>> are very happy with it. Ion and Enlightenment are popular too, each
>> for their own reasons. XFCE and the boxen might be a little lacking if
>> you are used to KDE 3.
>>

> Dotan, please, be nice. KDE should stay simple to use and to look at.
> Possible solution is to enable default profiles somewhere and to focus on
> really important things.

Default Konsole profiles?

And please, what are the really important things for you? For me all
the really important things have long since been taken care of.

> I'll get a list of things that I have problem with by the end of the week.

Thanks! I'll be here!

> I've installed it using debootstrap sid yesterday. I then pulled the kde4 by
> doing kde-all and deselecting all the things I don't want to have. I could
> send you a package list if you like.

Actually, I'd rather that - if your intention is to help me fix issues
- that you'd simply install the whole default setup. That was the bugs
that you do find will be KDE bugs and not custom-setup bugs. If you
are installing for daily usage, of course, then install just what
suits you.

> It hung few times while installing with dselect (specifically when
> installing policy-kit and bluez/kdebluetooth) so I removed them to complete
> installation
>
> 1) after logging in it complains about some ConsoleKit missing.
> 2) I started organizer and went in 20 minutes to bed. In the morning it was
> already running .... wow if I knew I would run it with time  to see how
> long it takes to start

Those are the reasons that you might be better off with a default
install. I don't have those issues.

> 3) I've installed kweather ... but no applet available. where is it. Why
> should kde do this ugly thing with the widgets from the panel .... I'm
> sending you a screenshot of my toolbar and I'm not moving to anything else
> until I have those apps in the new version.

Try this widget, it's my favourite for weather:
http://kde-look.org/content/show.php/yaWP+%28Yet+Another+Weather+Plasmoid%29?content=94106

> Many other questions to follow - I hope you have patience and talk to kde
> guys, because I couldn't stand their young undeveloped developers brains

Yes, that's what I'm here for.

--
Dotan Cohen

http://bido.com