On Sat, Jun 05, 2010 at 02:13:51 +0100, Vasco Costa wrote:
> Most of the times 'aptitude remove/purge package' removes ALL the unused
> dependencies of the package.
>
> Sometimes however, even if I issue this command RIGHT after having
> installed a package it only removes some of the dependencies, leaving a
> few behind (specially for packages with huge dependency chains).
>
> Why does this happen? Is this because some of the installed dependencies
> may be optional dependencies for packages already installed or is this
> some aptitude limitation?

Your first hypothesis is most likely the correct one; the "optional
dependency" that keeps the package on your system can be a "recommends"
or even a "suggests" of another package, depending on how you have
configured aptitude.

> Is there a way to remove ALL the unused dependencies in these cases
> without manually issuing a remove for each of them?

Aptitude does remove all unused dependencies automatically; if you do
not like that it keeps "recommends" by default then you have to change
the corresponding configuration option (aptitude::Keep-Recommends).

--
Regards,            |
          Florian   |