On 6/15/2010 9:30 PM, Andrew Sackville-West wrote:
On Wed, Jun 16, 2010 at 11:31:41AM +1000, Gerald C.Catling wrote:
I will have to try RAID 1.

remember that RAID is no substitute for backups.

A cardinal rule!

 And, there really is
nothing wrong with lvm per se, you just have to be careful of having
volumes spanning harddrives. Without redundancy, you can lose the
volume.

I believe (any many would agree, I think) that LVM is the bees' knees, but it should be on top of some sort of RAID. This has already been said, but I think it bears repeating.

A RAID 1 for redundancy makes me sleep better at night.

It's not perfect, nor foolproof, but it is easy and cheap. (Hard disks are commodities; it is as easy to buy two as it is to buy one.)