> I just got a new dell 580s with windows 7 and I3-530 processor. I
> partitioned the drive within windows and proceeded to install debian using
> the latest x86 net disk (I burnt the latest 150M ISO to a CD for the
> installation). Everythng goes fine except that it fails to detect the
> ethernet adapter. I'm then prompted to pick a driver from a long list.

Can't help much with your current situation, however since you said
"any help" I will offer a couple thoughts:

1) On very new hardware like your shiny new laptop, you may have a
better experience using Squeeze, Debian's current "Testing" distro
which is actually quite stable right now and only a few months away
from freeze.

2) As you realized a netinst disc without a network connection isn't
very useful. CD or DVD 1 would be a much better option for you, though
with Broadcom you're still likely to encounter problems that may or
may-not be alleviated by using a kernel from backports or by simply
using Squeeze (see pt.1).

Typing "Broadcom 57788" into www.google.com/linux (the linux google
search engine) turns up some similar reports of problems getting the
native linux drivers to work. E.g.,
https://lists.linux-foundation.org/pipermail/bugme-new/2010-June/025009.html

It may be you need to use something called ndsiwrapper, and a windows
driver until such time as you can resolve the native linux driver
issues, or else focus on getting the wireless to work (if that's an
option for you) and forget the ethernet completely for the time being.

Best,
AM