Hi,

I'm having trouble getting my Matrox G550 working with Debian, because it is not supported in the version of XFree86 that is installed with Woody. I've successfully upgraded XFree86 to unstable but X still barfs when I try to start it. (mga_hal module doesn't exist, etc.) Anyway, that's not really the point, unless someone wants to tell me step-by-step how they got their G550 working.

My question is: What IS an available, cheap, but not too ancient video card that will automagically work with the default Woody install? For instance, would the ATI Radeon 9000 work? How far up ATI's numbering system can I go before there's trouble? I'm not using the card for 3d gaming or video editing. We're talking e-mail and word-processing here, so a fifty dollar card or so is what I'd like. At the same time, I don't want some ancient card that is going to be the weak link in an otherwise very up-to-date system (because I believe one day Sarge will be officially released, etc.) ;-)

Please CC my address as I'm going to have to unsubscribe. Can't handle the volume! Thanks!

Brian