On Mon, 13 Sep 2010 11:41:32 -0400 (EDT)
Stephen Powell <zlinux...@wowway.com> wrote:

> On Mon, 13 Sep 2010 11:28:26 -0400 (EDT), Frank wrote:
> >
> > I have been having (minor?) problems with the ext3 file systems on my
> > machine.  I have Ubuntu installed on /dev/sda3, with Squeeze on
> > /dev/sda2.  Nearly everytime I go into Ubuntu, then back to Squeeze,
> > the file system check recovers the journal, and finds 8 or 10 orphaned
> > nodes.  It seems to happen when I copy files from sda3 to sda2.  I use
> > Sylpheed as a mail client, and on both systems have several shared
> > folders..that is folders that are symlinked.
> > Any ideas on the problem ?
>
> That sounds like the file system is not being cleanly unmounted by
> Ubuntu during shutdown.  You are doing a clean shutdown, aren't you?

   Ubuntu is using the graphical logon/logoff so I can't see what's
going on, but yes the shutdown is clean. I **assume** the file system
is being unmounted, but I'd have to disable graphics to see for sure.

> What happens if you manually umount the file system prior to shutting
> down Ubuntu?

  I have to try it and see.
  One thing I noticed...in Ubuntu's fstab, sda2 is referred to as
"/dev/sda2" while the Ubuntu partition is referenced by the UUID..I
wonder if this is a problem ?

--
-- Frank --