On Fri, Sep 24, 2010 at 9:37 PM, Javier Vasquez <j.e.vasque...@gmail.com> wrote:
> On Fri, Sep 24, 2010 at 10:32 AM, T o n g <mlist4sunt...@yahoo.com> wrote:
>> On Fri, 24 Sep 2010 16:17:57 +0000, T o n g wrote:
>> Of all the following acpi related packages, which ones do you have (or,
>> which ones should I tell my debootstrap to install)?
>>
>> acpi-fakekey - tool to generate fake key events
>> acpi-support-base - scripts for handling base ACPI events such as the
>> power button
>> acpi-support - scripts for handling many ACPI events
>> acpi - displays information on ACPI devices
>> acpid - Advanced Configuration and Power Interface event daemon
>> acpitool - command line ACPI client
>> acpidump - utilities to dump system's ACPI tables to an ASCII file
>> laptop-detect - attempt to detect a laptop
>> laptop-mode-tools - Tools for Power Savings based on battery/AC status
>> sleepd - puts an inactive or low battery laptop to sleep
>>
>> Thanks
>>
>> --
>> Tong (remove underscore(s) to reply)
>
> I don't have the context of you previous e-mail, so my answer is just
> biased by what I use, which is NO desktop environment at all, also
> notice, it's a matter of taste most of the time...  So what I install
> is:
>
> acpi
> acpitool
> acpid
> acpi-support-base
> laptop-mode-tools
> cpufrequtils
> cpufreqd
> lm-sensors
> sensord
>
> I do suspend to RAM through "acpitool -s" and suspend to disk through
> "acpitool -S", so I don't need any other suspending solution...
>
> laptop-detect is a dependency for some of those I mentioned, so I
> didn't include it.
>
> I believe acpi-support-base is also a dependency, so probably I
> shouldn't have included it, but well, I'm not sure.
>
> acpi-fakekey is a dependency for acpi-support, so if you include
> acpi-support, the other will be installed.
>
> acpi-support is nice specially if one doesn't have a desktop
> environment, and wants some buttons and keys support, but I found it
> too bloated for my taste, and I do things through commands or menu
> entries in fluxbox, so I don't really need it, and besides some of the
> stuff doesn't even work for me.  But you might want to use it fi it
> provides something to you...
>
> I'm not sure about power button application you included, but perhaps
> if you have acpi-support, you won't need it.  Sounds like they
> overlap, not sure if can coexist.  I've never used power button.
>
> acpidump is just if you're in need to print out acpi tables.  I never
> had the need, :-)

Thanks for such informative message, Javier!

If you have couple of minutes, would you, please, to expand your
comments about a system without desktop environment? Targeting a
laptop.
Is that enough to install a base system, bootloader, then reboot,
install "acpi" packages you have mentioned, xorg and then a window
manager?
Is there dependences on 'xorg', which allow a proper xorg installation?
Please, correct me, I am sure I have missed a lot of useful system
components. Like xscreensaver, for example.

Thanks in advance!

--

Sincerely Yours'
Mark Goldshtein