Hi,

I've been using xpdf for a looong time, and I never had a problem,
except that it can be a bit slow on my old machine.

So today, I tested evince and epdfview, but some pdfs (all from the same
source) which are perfectly fine in xpdf are hardly legible.

,----
| mem...@mymachine:~/pdf$ pdffonts -f 3 xyz.pdf
| name                                 type              emb sub uni object ID
| Times-Bold                           Type 1            no  no  no       8  0
`----

I suspect that this font is not available to evince and epdfview and so
it chooses a "bad" alternative instead. Installing the msttcorefonts
(brrrrr) did not help, either.

However, I know that lots of you people do not use xpdf, and I think
there should be a remedy.

Any advice is very much appreciated.

Memnon