Thanks for the info, I ended up blacklisting nouveau for my single system. Anyone have an idea where on a debian-related wiki this useful and important info should go? I noticed debian-wiki itself is set for lenny and I'd rather not pollute it with squeeze info.

I'm also more interested in a method of automating this change (at least for me, I'm preparing a system install guide for lab machines that are going to move to squeeze. I'd set up something like FAI, but I cannot for the life of me grok the documentation).

On 10/28/2010 04:09 AM, Sven Joachim wrote:
On 2010-10-28 00:05 +0200, Camaleón wrote
On Wed, 27 Oct 2010 14:47:44 -0500, Joseph Lenox wrote:
The version of Nouveau (FOSS nvidia driver) that ships with 6.0
(Squeeze) on last week's (2010-10-17) testing disc does not play nice
with the Quadro NVS240 graphics card. No output on screen at all even
for a console (monitor goes to power saving mode). I had to get into the
box with the disc recovery option, and remove the driver from its
modprobe list in /etc just to get to a text console.
Mmmm, there must be an easy way to disable KMS and load "nv" driver
without the needing of uninstalling "nuvó" packages. I dunno, just asking
because I'm also interested in how could this be done.
Boot with nouveau.modeset=0 parameter or create a file in
/etc/modprobe.d that blacklists the nouveau module (see
modprobe.conf(5) for details).  Create an /etc/X11/xorg.conf or modify
the existing one to use the nv driver:

Section "Device"
        Identifier      "n"
        Driver          "nv"