On Sat, Nov 27, 2010 at 2:43 AM, Stan Hoeppner <s...@hardwarefreak.com>wrote:

> Mag Gam put forth on 11/26/2010 11:14 PM:
>
> > unloading unnecessary modules
>
> If they are unnecessary modules, the kernel won't load them in the first
> place, as the hardware they interface with doesn't exit.  If they're not
> loaded, how can you unload them?
>
> I think you need to provide us with _your_ definition of "unnecessary".

I suppose he's talking about that modules loaded for hardware that it's
present but unused, for example: the sound card. For my servers I generally
buy "clons" and they have an embedded sound card. So, we don't need the
sound modules loaded at startup.
Another example (maybe) is the USB, mouse, SATA/PATA when we have a SCSI
controller, etc.

> If you're really that concerned about kernel footprint and performance,
> you can always roll your own kernel, as I do, building in the drivers
> you know you need, none that you don't, and disable loadable module
> support.  However, this can get tricky if you don't know precisely what
> you're doing.

I don't know. I decided long ago not to compile the kernel anymore. I do
prefer blacklisting modules instead. But, it's only my opinion.

> --
> Stan

LMM