On Dec 21, 2010, at 5:24 PM, Curt Howland wrote:

On Monday 20 December 2010, Rick Thomas was heard to say:
Curt Howland wrote:
Is there a
reason anyone can think of for not reformatting in ext2 or some
other "fsck-able" format?

Have you thought about a simple log-structured filesystem?

Rick

Which would you suggest?

As an aside, I threw away that particular disk, and simply took a new
one out and used that.

It's amazing that there is no udffsck in the Debian udfutils package.

Curt-

Using "aptitude search lfs" (I tried other variants on "log structured filesystem" and go nothing) turned up "nilfs2-tools" and "nilfs2- modules" and "nilfs2-source". The home page seems to be http://www.nilfs.org/ . I've never used it myself, so I can't recommend pro or con. My remark was just in passing that a log-structured filesystem would seem to be perfect for your needs.

You should also investigate (try google) the filesystems that are being developed for use with flash-RAM, which shares many of the distinctive characteristics of DVD-RAM. If you find anything useful, I'd be interested to hear. This is an active area of development these days (powered by the dropping cost of flash RAM and the possibility of using it for low-power and very fast system residency devices for embedded systems), so it should be a fertile ground for google searches.

Rick