On Dec 20, 2010, at 3:07 AM, Herbert Kaminski wrote:

Rick Thomas schrieb:

2) if reformatting is necessary or desired, have the option (default) of preserving the UUID.

This would be an useful option for all partitions, not only for swap,
for people like me who dare to test DI in a spare partition of their
normal workstation.

cu
 Herbert

Here's an easy way out...

Add an option to mkswap (and mkfs, if that seems appropriate -- right now, I think swap is critical and the other filesystem types are merely annoying. YMMV) that says "assume that the filesystem is currently formatted as swap and preserve the UUID while re-formatting it according to the other options".

Then modify the installer partitioner code to use that option by default when invoking mkswap.

Adding the code to mkswap should be a piece of cake. (I'm on vacation right now. I'll have a crack at it when I get back to civilization if other things don't have higher priority by then.) I don't know enough about the installer partitioner code to tell whether adding an option to invocations of mkswap is easy or hard. I'm guessing easy, but I'm not volunteering to do it.

Rick