On Tue, Dec 28, 2010 at 1:06 PM, Mike Bird <mgb-deb...@yosemite.net> wrote:
> On Tue December 28 2010 01:31:50 Camaleón wrote:
>> On Tue, 28 Dec 2010 00:10:23 -0800, Mike Bird wrote:
>>>
>> > Is it possible to go back to the old system?
>>
>> If you mean "how to disable dependency booting" yes, you can disable it
>> to get the old behaviour, but you will still have to ensure bind9 is
>> started before apache2:
>>
>> http://www.debian.org/releases/squeeze/i386/release-notes/ch-whats-new.en.h
>> tml#dependency-boot
>
> Thank you Camaleón.
>
> CONCURRENCY=none may help some people with different problems, but
> it does not solve the problem of unexpressed dependencies.
>
> Is there a way to use the old-style reliable init system based on
> the Snn and Knn values in rcn.d? Real servers have dependencies
> among numerous server processes. A few of these dependencies relate
> to Debian packaging but far more relate to configuration, scripting,
> plugins, and even custom programming.
>
> It is simply not worth the effort to spend hours trying to discover
> and express all the dependencies on a bunch of servers in order to
> save half a second of boot time once per year. It took me four hours
> to discover what was wrong in a very simple case. This was not
> helped by failures to log errors, bootchart2 missing from Squeeze,
> a near complete lack of documentation, and insserv silently ignoring
> errors in my early attempts to express missing dependencies.
>
> I've read the very thin /usr/share/doc and man documentation and
> googled extensively. The new system may be great for script kiddies
> rebooting their Ubuntu laptops twice a day but it is an appalling
> idea for Debian servers. It not only scales terribly (on the order
> of N squared dependencies instead of N priorities) but is also very
> poorly documented.

I also found the insserv documentation frustrating when I first tried
squeeze about a year ago. It took me a few tries to figure out the
correct way of using overrides...

When I was googling insserv last year, I landed on a d-devel thread
where some posters were arguing that the current init system ought to
be kept as an option for those who didn't want to use dependency-based
boot. But the decision to make dependency-based boot inescapable seems
to have been taken and, like grub2, we're stuck with it - until, it
seems, squeeze+1/squeeze+2, when we'll have the immense pleasure of
changing yet again to upstart or systemd. (By the way, Ubuntu laptops
use upstart to allow script kiddies to boot faster, not insserv.)