Cool!  Thanks, I'll look into those.

Rick

On Dec 30, 2010, at 2:10 PM, Mirco Piccin wrote:

Hi,

> We recently bought a retirement home, but it will be a year or so before we can move in > -- leaving the place uninhabited most of the time. I'd like to install an inexpensive (under > $1000 for parts -- I'll do the installation myself) CC-TV ("CC"="closed circuit") and recorder > that can be connected to a Linux-based computer I can access over the Internet.

you can use ZoneMinder
http://www.zoneminder.com/

with or without DVR (ZoneMinder itself can act as video recorder).
Zoneminder has a lot of features (e.g. Motion Detection, Trigger, email delivery..), and a wui - web user interface.
It supports lan streaming (e.g. Ip Cam, Video server) and usb cam.

Or, if you want to save more $$, you could use also something like this:
http://icamview.com/
that convert usb camera in ip camera, providing Motion Detection, email delivery, ftp upload...

My 2 cents
Regards