On Fri, 14 Jan 2011 12:16:37 -0500
Tom H <tomh0...@gmail.com> wrote:

[BIG SNIP]

> >> You might want to try configuring grub and fstab to use UUID's
> >> instead of /dev/mdX.  That removes the possibility that the kernel
> >> will change the mdX designations.
> >>
> >> Use blkid to find out the UUID's of your partitions.
> >
> > Thanks for the reply, Rob. What grub file do I change?
> > grub.cfg?  grub *.map? I seem to have UUIDs for both disks and
> > LVM partitions, change both?
>
> So you have LVM over RAID, not just RAID.
Hi, Tom.
Well, not really, not all of the disks are LVM2. The first two
disks raid1 /dev/sda & /dev/sdc are partitioned with 1 small
/(root) partition, /dev/md0 -> 10 gigs. The balance of the disk
is /dev/md1 under LVM2 with seven logical volumes. /home,/var,/swap
etc  The next two disks sdb and sdd are raid1 as /dev/md2 which I
need to use as an extension of the LVM.

More info, when I boot the machine, I see the "GRUB loading. WELCOME to
GRUB!" info.  Then it enters the rescue mode with a "grub rescue>"
prompt.  So the kernel is found/finding the / partition. Right?

> For grub2, you're only supposed to edit "/etc/default/grub".

I started interpreting that as simply needing a update-grub type of
fix.. I was/am  wrong...   So I resorted  to systemrescuecd-2.0.0..
to fix up Grub..

Thanks, Jack