On Sat, 22 Jan 2011 08:55:37 -0800, John Jason Jordan wrote:

> On Sat, 22 Jan 2011 16:13:29 +0000 (UTC) Camaleón dijo:
>
>>1/ How can it that xrandr settings are remembered for all the users
>>session?
>>
>>2/ What is the involved file/tweak command to revert any change and
>>reset its settings?
>
> I don't know for sure the answers to these questions, but I have some
> suggestions for places to look:
>
> 1) Rename the /var/log/Xorg.0.log file and then restart the computer.
> This will create a new, clean Xorg.0.log file that will be easier to
> read than the one you renamed, which probably goes on for pages. Look
> through the new file for clues. After reading it, make some command in
> xrandr, which will append new information to the file. Read this new
> information to see exactly what the command makes X do.

Xorg log was one of the first place I looked at but it showed nothing
wrong... well, it showed the wrong resolution in use (1280x60).

> 2) Look in /etc/X11/ for configuration files, particularly xorg.conf. If
> there is no xorg.conf file try creating a new one using the minimal
> commands at x.org:
>
> Section "Device"
>      Identifier "n"
>      Driver "nouveau"
> EndSection

That was my last-resort solution should I couldn't get restore the right
screen size using xrandr but I finally succeeded by running commands "on
the dark" :-)

But now you mention... how could I enforce the load of the "vesa" driver
at the boot time? Remember that I am using a virtual machine and VGA
driver is being simulated by virtualbox (driver in use is "VBoxVideo").

> 3) Read the wiki at x.org for more fun things to try:
>
> http://wiki.debian.org/Xorg

Yeah, thanks, I know that page much well but my main concern was how to
undo the settings when using the xrandr tool :-?

Greetings,

--
Camaleón