steef wrote:

> hi list, good morning local time.
>
> as a test i installed squeeze with kde4 on a rather fast machine. (my
> working horse runs now on squeeze with xfce4)
>
> the for me surprising fact: the machine is starting up (kde4) very
> slowly. when started up, it (dolphin) runs normally fast.
>
> i read about bugs in the akonadi server if that is the problem (google).
> in earlier days i read something about adapting kde4 into the behavior
> of kde3.
>
> somebody else with the same rather annoying experience? or, did i miss
> (temporarily in the gambia) a complete discussion? and, most important.
> is there a solution for this problem?
>
> regards,
>
> steef

Hi, as I was working with akonadi (developing) recently I thing the problem
in kde4 is the file index engine (stridgi and nepomukserver). You think
it's akonadi, but actually akonadi is the storage for the indexing engine.

So, to make it short. When you start kde4 it starts the indexing engine,
doing a full index of your directories. (If you have more files it takes
time and ressources. If you are patient, on quite fast machine it will fade
off next time you start the desktop). I prefer to disable the indexing
either from the kontrolcenter or from the applet in the panel.

akonadi is not the problem I guess.

regards