From:   Bob Proulx <b...@proulx.com>
Date:   Thu, 10 Feb 2011 15:00:26 -0700
> TightVNC is a way to transport the X protocol from one host to another
> so as to share a display.

According to http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Virtual_Network_Computing
to protocol is RFB.  VNC is based on X in Linux and Unix but not in Windows.
Some servers can support more than one session.

> ... an X display on one system ... connected to from other hosts.
> What is a VNC console?

It was my term for the screen of the "other host" you mentioned.
Photo here.  http://carnot.yi.org/Cantor.html  Sorry if the aspect ratio is bad.
According to http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Virtual_Network_Computing
the correct name is "VNC Client".  Dalton is the VNC server and Cantor
is the VNC client.

> Surely you would need to log
> in using either the text console or ssh from another system or from
> xdm or something and then start up a vnc session, right?

On Cantor simply execute (click) this and the viewer opens.
Desktops.OpenDoc  "dalton.invalid:5901" (VNCViewerDocs.NewDoc) ~
Yes, Cantor sends a password to Dalton.

> ... you meant when
> you change the resources in .Xdefaults / .Xresources which is is
> somehow copied between the two ...

"Resource" strikes me as an odd term here.  I'd rather say "size" or
"color" or more generally "parameter".  The abstractness of "resource"
must have appealed to an X developer.  In any case, the problem appears
to be that Dalton is using just one framebuffer.  Dalton has a decent
sized 4:3 display whereas Cantor has a small 5:6 display.  If Iceweasel is
opened on Cantor and then on Dalton, the Dalton instance has the
small shape of the Cantor instance.

> ... you can have one script that will run on ether/both of the systems and
> behave differently.

I was imagining the script to run on server Dalton so that each client is
recognized and served the appropriate framebuffer.  Dalton provides one
session to its own client and one to Cantor.  Both sessions should be able
to run concurrently.  I'll guess that the script you mentioned is the place
to configure this.

Isn't there a "native" X communication more sophisticated than VNC via
RFB?  If so, why is VNC ever used for a Linux client?

Regards,                  ... Peter E.

>--
Telephone 1 360 450 2132.