On Mon, Apr 25, 2011, at 12:04:41 +0200, Klistvud wrote:
> Hmm, perhaps your live system is performing some disk writes *while*
> your dd is doing its thing, thus effectively overwriting
> (corrupting) some sectors already written by dd?

All of the OS versions I was trying in my test environment were clean
installs with nothing running except the basics like syslog, cron, etc.
When the same exact image and dd command was succeeding on all but the
two Debian versions I was trying, I figured it was something specific
with those versions. Then eventually I tried Lenny where it worked and
that added further confusion as to what was happening.

That said, it looks like you are 100% correct. If I kill off some of
those processes, remount / as read only, and then run dd, it succeeds.
So simple yet overlooked on my part due to it working in other versions
with very similar environments without that step being necessary.

Thanks a lot to everyone who replied, and I apologize for the confusion.

-Mark