On Tue, 2003-09-23 at 20:28, Terry Hancock wrote:
> On Tuesday 23 September 2003 06:03 pm, Paul E Condon wrote:
> > RedHat's business model is moving toward support services for enterprises
> > and away from sale of boxed sets of CDs. I don't think it makes much
> > sense for them to continue work on the RedHat Linux distribution, but I
> > can see why they might want to pretend to do so. Their corporate customers
> > probably wouldn't notice if RedHat started loading Debian onto the corporate
> > computers, so long as Red Hat, the company, continued to provide support.
> >
> > I think they would save themselves a lot of head aches if they did move to
> > Debian. This collective support of the RedHat distribution, without selling
> > CDs looks to me like Debian done badly. It will wither away, and the people
> > will drift into the Debian community.
>
> It occurs to me that that might very well be a near-ideal and possibly
> planned outcome. If I were running Red Hat, I would probably think
> so.  No need to scent conspiracy theories -- it's not a bad approach
> to transition: gives plenty of time for the two to grow towards a standard
> (e.g. the LSB stuff), and then make the transition smooth for the end user.

That would be a possible theory if Debian & RH both use the same
package manager.  Now, if RH wants to admit to the error in it's
ways and move to dpkg/apt/deb, it could be an enterprise version
of Libranet, and, since it charges for updates  to multiple systems
(the RH Network), it would be a lot like Lindows!

Ron Johnson, Jr. [EMAIL PROTECTED]
Jefferson, LA USA

"I have created a government of whirled peas..."
Maharishi Mahesh Yogi, 12-May-2002, CNN, Larry King Live